Events of Saturday, April 7:
There must have been a twilight brawl between Luna and
Sol, because at dawn the sun was brooding; fumes of heat scorched the Earth as
all of the NISV children celebrated World Health Day by doing yoga in neat
lines across the football field.
It was only 8:30 in the morning and yet the heat was blistering as a
hundred bodies bent and stretched up to the angry ball in the high sky. I stood
with the other teachers as a spectator, but the sweat still dripped like I was
a participant. After only fifteen minutes under the sun’s harsh stare, I
retreated to the shade and then went back to my room to change my clothes,
threw on a refreshed attitude and was ready for the rest of the day.
However, near the end of the school day I was
called to the principal’s office. Instead of marching to the administrative building
with a confident air of a colleague, my brain went into student mode; I
hesitantly stumbled to the building as if I was to be greeted with a
black-hooded headsman with a gleaming axe. I began yanking the front of my
blouse up to my neck as my mind frantically ransacked the filing cabinets of
past actions, desperately searching for red-penned errors: Is my clothing
unprofessional? Was I supposed to participate in yoga this morning in the
grueling heat? Did my cooperating-teachers reveal a discrepancy in my
curricula? What have I done wrong? My face scrunched and contorted; I tried to
iron out the wrinkles before opening the heavy glass door to the principal’s
office. The two RAs of the boys and girls hostel were already seated across
from Mr. D’sousa and my stomach spun into a spool of anxiety – each strand of
tension twisted and tangled around the Unknown. Shortly after I was seated, the
director of the fine arts department and the drama teacher, Mr. Anish Chandra
Renu, filed into the office and I was finally told the reason for this
impromptu meeting: the concert for the student boarders. My stomach untwisted
and untangled, stretching with deep sighs of relief.
On the last day of school, May 7,
the students who reside in the hostels on campus will be showcasing their talents
to their parents and teachers and celebrate the end of the school year in a
variety show. I had already been asked to direct a one-act play for the
boarders and have selected a comedic scene entitled “No, Not I” from Pole
Sengupta’s anthology of children’s plays, Good
Heavens!. There were extremely slim pickings of play scripts in the NISV
library, but this script has a large cast and a lot of character interaction to
allow the budding actors to practice relating to one other on stage. Plus, the
plot is quirky and will bring out the energetic personalities of the students:
a thief decides to climb a wall and steal from a luxurious palace one windy
night, but as he was climbing the wall, it fell down onto his toe. The thief
screams in anguish and a lawyer promptly advises him to sue for this new
injury. The comedy of the script is enacted when the thief goes to the homeowner
to sue for his broken toe, but the owner says that he is not to blame, but they
should sue the one who built the wall. So the thief hobbles over the mason to
sue him, but the mason denies responsibility and blames his cook for putting
too much salt in his meal the day he was building the wall. So they all rush
over to the cook to sue him . . . and the blame game continues. :)
After school Sohini and I went to
town, which was AMAZING since I had been cooped up in the hostel for the past
week in her absence; I have never been so happy to be continuously jilted and
disoriented in a rickshaw lol. We went to various stores and malls to
find professional work clothes for Sohini and since we had some time to spare before dinner I suggested that we eat
dessert first and go to The Chocolate Room.
It was a perfectly posh little
place with dark brown walls and bright red booths and their menu is everything
chocolate: chocolate shakes, chocolate sundaes, chocolate pizza, chocolate
fondue, chocolate sandwiches . . . chocolate deliciousness. The
slogan of this restaurant/cafĂ© is “Chocolate is good for you,” which I will
personally testify to be completely accurate. It was hard to choose which
dessert to order due to the plethora of scrumptious chocolaty options, but I
finally settled on the Chocolate Rocher Sundae, which was chocolate ice cream
topped with fudge sauce and chocolate covered almonds. I’m pretty sure that I
keeled over three times from pure happiness while eating this sundae lol. I was
on a sugar high for the remainder of the evening, which made the day completely
legen . . . wait for it . . . dairy!
No comments:
Post a Comment