Monday, 2 April 2012

A Hannah-Shaped Hole in the Universe


Why does the Indian sun
stoke my passions to a fiery foreboding
‘til my dreams leak in droplets
and evaporate back to the stifling sky?

Why am I here?

Not a matter of existence,
but location.

The Question is dusty,
sweeping through my heart’s hollowness,
each grain rubbing against the
callous of my core;
then it seeps with dampness,
sops with sullen sorrow –
eyes flung open like the bloated dead.
Thrill sludged with scum,
bogged below the ripples of doubt.

The cracked turquoise gate is bolted
shut –
Through knotted bars,
Expectations stoop naked,
stripped and slashed by Reality.
The charade is unmasked.
Wilted parade remnants crumble to
dust
and

bury
the neglected nude;

the swamp of swollen questions
bulges and
burps.

Everlasting night smothers
my numbness
with a dark shroud of

solitude

and


isolation.


.
.
.

On the other end of a tattered line
pity wraps its fragile arms around my neck .
Guilt stains my clothing
in bleeding dark embarrassments.
Life slowly oozes out of life.
The pine door of my soul
creaks and moans,
expands and unhinges.

I breathe in splinters.

Why am I here?

Not a matter of existence,
but location.


I’ve never stopped at any scenery,

I haven’t even met myself,

I have this complaint, but I am not angry;
All cities are the same, villages are the same,

People are the same and the same names . . .

Why am I here?

Kisi manzar par main ruka nahi

Kabhi khud se bhi mein mila nahi

Ye gila to hai main khafa nahi

Shehar ek se gaa’nv ek se

Log ek se naam ek ooo . . .

Why am I here?

Because . . .

There’s a richer life ahead . . .

1 comment:

  1. * Hindi words in this poem are taken from the lyrics to the Hindi song, Phir Se Ud Chala, written by A.R. Rahmaan.

    ReplyDelete