Today
has been a day of irony.
Ironic
Day, Part 1: The Apartment
Last
week I was cooped in my room due to Sohini’s absence and desperately wanted to
break out of my prison cell and run rampant in the streets of Vadodara; now
Sohini has returned and I can travel with a friend, but I have been feeling
sick for the past few days and all I want is to stay confined within my
apartment. My illness is nothing serious, but I have a slight fever and my
stomach has been twisting and tangling into knots while a heavy blanket of
fatigue is draped over my body.
Yesterday morning I promptly went to the principal’s office and asked if
I could take a few sick days and rest in my apartment, which he happily obliged
because supposedly I do not look good at all. One would think that this comment
is redundant since the mention of an internal sickness implies effects on one’s
external health as well, yet I keep being reminded of my poor appearance.
When I crawl out of my hole and trudge down four flights
of stairs and hike across campus to the cafeteria to eat, the students and
staff members gasp and ask in a curious roar, “What happened to you?”
Personally, I would ask this question if there was a grotesque physical abnormality,
like a burn blistering on the side of someone’s face or a deep gash across a
person’s arm – not for having a pale, peaked look and slow-moving steps. I’m
tempted to answer this embellished question with an exaggerated answer: “This
giant bacteria bug with twenty legs and a thousand pointy teeth suddenly sprung
from my food and lunged into my mouth! I began to wrestle the venomous creature
with my tongue but to no avail it hurled towards my intestines. My white blood
cell army was roused and prepared for battle against the monster and I have
barely survived four endless days of gut-wrenching terror on the battlefield.”
Or I could merely mumble, “It must have been something I ate.” Lol. Either way,
this slight sickness has given me a chance to nap, although this heat is
causing strange dreams . . . When I awoke from my nap today, I was dreaming
that two new geckos were found in my room and I named them Edith and Edna. Oh
dear :)
| I-Spy, India Edition :) |
Ironic
Day, Part 2: The Earthquake
Two
years ago when I was studying at the University of Ghana-Legon, I was abruptly
woken up at 3:00 am by a furious pounding on the door accompanied by frantic
shouting that there was going to be an earthquake and everyone needed to
evacuate the building. All of the international students scurried out of their
beds and gathered outside amidst the swarms of malaria-carrying mosquitoes and
humid black air. We stood, crouched, sat, and wandered around outside for over
an hour until news spread that the earthquake warning was a prank by a radio
station; we angrily sleepwalked back to our beds.
Well
today there actually was an earthquake in Indonesia and tremors were felt in
some parts of India, yet I was given no warning or wake up call. Honestly, I
didn’t even feel the tremor or know about its existence until Sohini brought up
the subject by asking if I also felt the earthquake around lunchtime. But I
must give a big shout-out to Melissa Scherer who is a true friend (not to
mention a well-aware citizen in worldwide events) and sent me a concerned
message today inquiring after my safety :). Don’t worry, Mel-Bel, I’m fine . . . except for the giant
bacteria bug with a thousand pointy teeth that I’m battling to the death.
Ok first of all good luck with that giant bacteria bug.....and I must say your description of the creature and the crazy journey that you are on with it is quite entertaining to read. You should really write childrens books, just add that to your long long list of things you already want to do or are doing lol. Anywho, I miss you like crazy and I am hoping to meet up with Sefah this weekend so we can have a good cry about missing you and then after we are out of tissues we will suck it up and do something productive or random :) Love you!
ReplyDelete